Welcome

The Bluff Grass - Interesting real-life incidents, funny experiences, travel, photography, reviews, poems, and more. Read, interact and make this a useful hang-out spot. You can post your comments, suggestions, and critiques under the respective blog topics.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Money!

It was sometime in 1994. Our office was in Parry's Corner, Chennai. My friend and colleague, KK, a Maharashtrian, had come from our Mumbai branch for the annual meet that runs for 2-3 days. 

On one of the days, he got ready for the meeting from his hotel. We arrived at the Parry's Corner by auto at around 9:00 AM. We walked though one of those narrow streets (very common in this locality - 2nd line beach, Angappan street, Lingi street, etc.) towards our office in a corner. The roads were slowly getting busy with many pedestrians, cyclists, auto-rickshaws, (Pallavan) city buses, etc. in brisk pace. 

There were these rows and rows of tiny shops who sell all imported stuffs. KK wanted to buy a Uni-ball pen for himself. We got into a shop and I helped him check the type, rate etc. with the shopkeeper in Tamil. Once the price negotiation was over, KK took a step back and stood outside the shop. I was inside the shop talking to the shopkeeper to get back some small change, when KK suddenly stretched his hand inside the shop and poked my shoulder frantically. I turned and asked him what was wrong. He pointed at the man on the road standing beside him and said that he was asking him Money! I was taken aback and thought something has gone amiss. I stepped out of the shop and asked that man what was it about. He appeared to be a middle aged worker somewhere in the neighborhood. To my surprise, there was no anger or agitation in his face or body manners. So I tended to relax, but was eager to know why he was asking KK for Money. Instantly and casually he now repeated the question that he had asked KK, to me: 'Mani sir?'. I burst out in laughter and told him the time, and he again casually walked off with tinge of a smile at the corners of his lips. 

KK, learning that the man actually asked for the time, was also amused along with me about this incident. The real-time comedy happened due to the fact that the word Mani in Tamil is phonetically identical to Money in English, while Mani (роорогி) in Tamil actually means time!

I think about this incident once in a while, and it brings a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comments or questions. Thank you.